Photo by Dominika Gregušová from Pexels

ExecutiveChronicles | UK IMMIGRATION HEALTH SURCHARGE | You might have to pay the health surcharges before entering the UK. You will pay these charges when you are applying online, or if you are applying by post, you first have to pay the charges online and then attach your IHS number with the application. When you get in touch with National Health Service after paying your health charges or having a visa. You must present your online proof of status or your residence permit. You must pay for an eye examination, various sorts of therapy, and so on. Contact well known immigration lawyers for more information regarding health surcharges. 

People who need to pay:

If you are applying for Visitor Visa, you do not need to pay these charges. But if you are applying for a long time or more than 6 months, you must pay these health surcharges.

People not paying the health surcharges include:

  1. If you are a member of the Defense Department of Australia or a NATO civilian worker.
  2. Or you are below 18 years who are looked after by local organizations.

The IHS reference number must be obtained. Even if you haven’t contributed a penny to the National Health Service, you can still use this reference number.

You do have not to pay these charges: 

  • If you are a health worker and can apply for a health worker permit.
  • If you are dependent on UK armed force or any force who are not on included in the immigration rule 
  • If you made a petition for an EU residency program or permanent residence
  • If you are a survivor of slavery or if you are registering for discretionary leave,

Suppose you are registering for a visitor visa or visiting the UK for less than 6 months or for 6 months. You don’t have to pay for the NHS or receive any IHS number; you will pay there unless the service is free of cost when you use the national health service.

The money you need to pay:

Your payment totally depends on the period you visa in the UK.

  • For students, you need to pay around 460 pounds per year, and if your visa in the UK is for 4 years, you will pay 1880 pounds in 4 years.
  • For others, you need to pay around 620£ per year. If your visa in the UK is for 3 years, you will pay £1872 in 3 years.

If you are a resident of the United Kingdom, you will pay for half of the surcharges. The cost is around 230 pounds if you are a student. And for other applications, it is around 610 pounds. If you are coming to the UK for less than a year or more than 6 months, you have to pay the full number of surcharges. But if your visa is for 18 months or more than a year or less, you have to pay the payment of one full year plus another half year. If your visa is for less than 2 years, but more than 18 months, you will pay for 2 years. Experienced immigration lawyers can also assist with immigration marriage UK.

Who will not pay these Health surcharges:

Your cost is dependent on your visa period. The lengthier your visa is, the more you have to pay. If you do not pay these charges, the UK immigration department will send you the email, and you have to pay for the health surcharges in 10 days if you are in the UK and in 7 days if you are from abroad. If you don’t make this payment within these working days, your application will be turned down.

If you are applying online, you have to make the payment and come back to the page within 30 minutes, they will ask you about your course dates if you are a student or sponsored certificate you are applying by post, they will ask you about your email address, visa, and passport number.


These surcharges can be refunded on the refusal of your visa or when you cancel your application for a visa. If your visa application is approved, you will receive a partial refund of your IHS fees; if your dependent’s application for a visa is refused or you ask for more time, then you get on a visa.

 These reimbursements will be sent to you automatically by the immigration department, and you will not be required to do anything.

You can partially or fully refund these charges if you possess an S1 certificate. 

Who will not get refunded: 

  • If you don’t come to the UK and the application of your visa is approved
  • If you are making the application for permanent residency

Photo by Dominika Gregušová from Pexels