The Benefits of Basketball in Students Life | Basketball has been around for a long time – it appeared in 1891. Since its creation, it has gained millions of fans around the world. Basketball is not only among the most entertaining games in the world, but also one of the most physically and mentally rewarding ones. Many modern basketball exercises are so beneficial that they have been incorporated into many health and fitness courses. For example, simply throwing a ball into a basket helps keep muscles and joints in your hands, legs, and back healthy, but also offers plenty of other benefits for both your body and mind. Basketball is a very exciting sport which involves constant movement, so it can help people of any age or occupation feel much healthier and more active.
Basketball belongs to those means of physical education that most significantly affect all-round development, improving a person’s physical as well as physiological form. This is why basketball is such a great sport for both kids and teenagers and is extremely popular with students. It can help young people feel more collected, focused, involved with other students, as well as give them an entertaining, healthy extracurricular activity. We will talk more about the numerous benefits of basketball for students below!
Benefits of Basketball for Teenager’s Body and Mind
Like any other sport, basketball is very beneficial for children and adults alike, but even more so for a rapidly developing person – a teenager. At first glance, it may seem that only tall and physically strong people can play basketball, but in reality, this is not the case. Even a person with average height and no athletic abilities can get into this game, find a lot of joy in it, and benefit their life.
Basketball is among the most dynamic sports, and its benefits for developing body and mind are truly enormous. Here are just a few of them:
- Regular basketball practices strengthen cardiovascular and respiratory systems (increase the volume of lungs), significantly improves the work of endocrine glands.
- Basketball is beneficial for weight loss, and it helps control weight. In about 40 minutes of playing basketball, students can burn approximately 300 calories. Even if you don’t have any excess weight, this sport will help you remain fit and develop healthy muscles.
- A person playing basketball improves their peripheral vision.
- Regular physical activity has a positive effect on the immune system, strengthening the body’s defenses.
- Boosts reaction speed. It is not uncommon for an athlete to make lightning-fast decisions during a match that determine the outcome of the game. This helps students learn how to react quickly and efficiently in emergencies.
- Has a positive effect on the nervous system, affects the perseverance and calmness of the student.
- The game’s quick pace requires the player to have visual acuity, enhancing the speed of visual perception.
- People involved in basketball are becoming more proactive and decisive because during the game you constantly have to make immediate decisions that affect the entire team.
- This game develops endurance, self-control.
- Basketball will help relieve fatigue, get rid of stress and negative emotions accumulated during the day of studying.
- Basketball is a great activity for schools and universities – it teaches discipline, self-control, teamwork, commitment. A player learns to think over tactics of offense and defense, to be collected during the game, calmly react to defeat.
- Like any other team sport, basketball helps develop social skills. Working in a team, students learn to help each other, care about common interests and work for the good of the team.
- This game helps battle insecurities. Many students struggle with body image, self-esteem issues, other psychological problems that occur during their teen years. Having a constant regular activity like basketball helps teens feel less isolated, generally better about themselves, as well as aids with peer communication.
- Basketball is very useful for the development of such character traits as self-discipline, ability to focus on certain goals, responsibility, outside-the-box thinking, which helps students become more initiative.
Some Precautions You Should Know
Like every other sport, basketball has certain risks that one should learn about before getting involved in such a physical activity. Basketball can cause stress for the body, so be sure to consult a doctor before joining a team or allowing your child to participate in this sport.
- Basketball is considered a relatively dangerous sport in terms of the likelihood of getting bruises and abrasions, so a student needs to warm up properly before starting to play – this will significantly reduce the risk of getting even minor injuries.
- A large difference in the age of the players must not be allowed – it is better if all team members are of approximately the same age, height, weight. This is something to consider before starting playing. If you have doubts, you may also get in touch with the university’s coach, ask for their advice.
- Remember that some people’s health can pose certain limitations when it comes to playing active sports. For example, if a student suffers from a disease of the respiratory system, cardiovascular system, musculoskeletal system, etc, playing basketball may be extra dangerous for them, thus requiring a doctor’s approval. Also, basketball is considered a traumatic sport, so beginners need to pay attention to the coach’s instructions, safety measures.
- Keeping up with academic tasks. Being part of the team means having hours of training, a tight schedule, and spending endless hours practicing, which often leaves little to no room for homework. Thankfully, there are services nowadays that can help students keep up with their assignments – Wowgrade.net being a prime example. If you put your education first but still want to enjoy all extracurricular activities and sports, such services are a great choice for you. This is especially true for important yet time-consuming tasks like dissertations and term papers, which can take a real toll on students. TrustMyPaper can help you with those demanding assignments, help free your schedule for basketball and other fun activities!
What We’ve Learned about Basketball
It is always a good idea to endorse a student’s participation in sports and other physical activities, as it can benefit them on so many levels. All information listed above proves that basketball is an incredibly useful sport, which helps with a student’s healthy development and positively affects the general well-being of a person. Basketball nurtures the mind as well as body, helping young people grow healthy, strong, driven, focused. Plus, it gives them a fun activity they can explore, allows finding new friends, building relationships for life!