Signs You Need Tax Help

5 Signs You Need Tax Help Debt Management money-mindset

5 Signs You Need Tax Help | More than 71 million taxpayers did their own taxes in 2020. It’s pretty easy to do, thanks to software programs that do most of the work for you.

You answer some basic questions, and the software fills out the correct forms. You can even take care of state taxes.

The problem with that is that you don’t know what you don’t know. You don’t know tax law and you could miss out on tax deductions. You could end up paying more in taxes than you should.

There are other situations that require tax help from a professional. What are those situations? Read on to find out.

  1. You Started a Business

Starting a business is exciting. It also comes with a lot of tax advantages. You can deduct your business expenses, which lowers your tax bill.

When you start a business, you have to choose a legal entity. That impacts how you’re taxed. For instance, a single-member LLC is taxed differently than an S-Corp. You should get a tax professional to help you decide which legal entity is right for you.

  1. You Owe Taxes

Do you find yourself with a huge tax bill that you didn’t expect? You should get tax filing help to make sure that you did your taxes correctly.

An accountant or CPA can spot deductions and help you plan for the upcoming tax year. They’ll make sure that you pay estimated taxes or have enough withheld.

  1. You Face a Tax Audit

It’s never fun to get a notice that you’re being audited. The IRS usually wants to verify the information on your tax return. They might ask for certain information at first.

The best way to protect yourself during an audit is to get tax help. A tax professional can represent you in front of the IRS. The other way to protect yourself is to keep outstanding records.

  1. You Want to Plan Your Estate

Another situation that warrants tax help is if you’re planning your estate. Tax help for seniors usually includes tax strategies so you don’t pay taxes on your wealth.

You want to minimize the amount of taxes paid for inheritance and investments. WealthAbility has some valuable information to help you choose a tax advisor.

  1. You Move Out of the Country

Did you know that American citizens have to file taxes every year, even if they live abroad? This is true for people who were born abroad to American parents, too.

You’ll probably need back taxes help to make up for the lost years of not filing taxes. A lot of software programs don’t handle expat taxes, so you should turn to a professional for tax help.

Tax Help Is on the Way!

The tax code is long and complicated. You could miss out on deductions or get in trouble with the IRS because you didn’t understand tax law.

It’s always smart to get tax help from a qualified professional. You’ll minimize your tax bill and stay in the good graces of tax authorities.

Be sure to click on the Money tab at the top for more financial tips.